[mythtv-users] Happauge HVR-1800 . . . latest opinions?

David Brieck Jr. dbrieck at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 21:05:09 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 3:48 PM,  <stefan_jones at comcast.net> wrote:
> My mythbox currently has a Happauge PVR-150 and a pcHDTV3000. Working just
> fine.
>
> My Comcast network is going "mostly all digital" in a couple of months.
>
> The "low end" Basic Cable channels (2-32 or so) will still be available in
> analog form for a few years, but everything else (SciFi, Comedy Central, is
> being replaced with digital equivalents.
>
> Because of this, I'm thinking of replacing the analog card with a
>
> Happauge HVR-1800
>
> (Huh, that pasted text came out as big bold text. Anyway.)
>
> This card has an analog and a digital tuner.
>
> Has anyone out there had a chance to really exercise it?
>
> * General quality?
> * Can it capture both analog and digital simultaneously?
> * Any gotchas when it comes to integration into MythTV?
>
> Thanks
>
> sTefan

I don't have this card personally, but from what I've heard from
others on Comquack they are slowly but surely encrypting all of the
digital tier that was once available in the clear. If you don't have
an HDTV, you might be better off sticking to the analog capture until
you're forced to do otherwise.

By then, the HD PVR from Hauppauge should be cheaper, VDPAU should be
into a released version of Myth, and hopefully you'd have an HDTV by
then to take advantage of the signals.