[mythtv-users] high CPU usage on mythbackend process

Dan lists at dannyclark.com
Wed Feb 25 19:19:42 UTC 2009

Hi,

Thanks to all the mythtv guys for such a great product! Just having some
issues since upgrading to mythbuntu 8.10 (mythtv 0.21) and wondering if
you can help.

It seems after watching a recorded programme for about 30mins (seen the
same with watching a DVD), the mythbackend process goes into a bit of a
spin taking up all the remaining CPU. I notice this because the TV is
pausing briefly every few seconds so viewing is very choppy. The only
way I've been able to fix at this point is by restarting mythbackend.

Normal watching takes up about 50% CPU on mythfrontend (but less than 5%
on mythbackend) and comes right down when I come out and go back in the
normal menus.

I haven't seen any clues in /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log (or any
other logs for that matter). Oh and this doesn't co-incide with
mythbackend actually doing something like recording or flagging
commercials because when this has happened mythbackend doesn't have
anything to do.

Other threads led to a couple of suggestions
- I had already disabled UPNP as I don't need it
- I've changed the playback profile from "CPU+" to "Slim" - this seemed
to make watching DVDs smoother, but hasn't stopped the above situation
happening

Thanks for any suggestions to fix or just to help debug the issue.

Cheers,
Dan.