[mythtv-users] HDMI vs DVI->HDMI

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 18:14:08 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 12:47 PM, Josh White <jaw1959 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 11:56 AM, Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk>
> wrote:
>> Eric Sharkey wrote:

>>> I had the same issue with the default settings on my TV, but there's
>>> an "unscaled" format option on the TV itself which allows the whole
>>> picture to be seen.  No changes were needed in the MythTV
>>> configuration.
>>
>> Annoyingly, not all TVs offer this feature :-(

overscan is basically TV dependent. the exact amount can change
depending on the modeline used, but the tv's electronics are really
what dictate this.

> I had the same problem until about 15 minutes ago, when I went through the
> settings on my HDTV (46" Samsung LN46A550)  There was no explicit setting
> for "Scaled" or "Zoom" or anything that I could set, but after setting
> everthing I could find to "standard" or whatever, and naming my DVI/HDMI
> input at "PC" it just happened to work.  I wish I knew what particular
> change made the difference, but I am happy to see that it is now working.
> BTW, I'm driving it with an Nvidia 9600GT via DVI->HDMI cable.  Other than
> some tearing issues, I'm quite happy with the setup.

Samsung is notorious for this, where they have different settings
based on what you call an input. But it goes to show how the overscan
setting is tv dependent. My Panasonic plasma has two modes, one that
includes overscan by stretching the image to the NTSC 5% per edge
standard (for those times when you want it?) and a 1:1 mode that does
no stretching.

Sadly the graphics drives don't have an overscan compensation setting
(because it is compensation that it is doing) for non NTSC/PAL

--
Steve
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/User:Steveadeff