[mythtv-users] What is temporal spatial deinterlacing, and how do I get it?

Seth Daniel mythtv.org at sethdaniel.org
Wed Feb 25 15:58:24 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 09:21:17AM -0500, Tom Dexter wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 2:12 PM, Seth Daniel <mythtv.org at sethdaniel.org> wrote:
> > While I agree with everything you say I have to say that VDPAU is really
> > very nice...even for people (like me) with a native 1080i display.
> > Using 180.29 + VDPAU (for 0.21) + Bob 2x + that framerate doubling patch
> > I get fantastic video from 720p and 1080i sources while using about 5-6x
> > less CPU.
> >
> > Yeah, you still have to patch the code.  Yeah Nvidia has not
> > acknowledged the problem.  Maybe I'm just easy to please but I really
> > like using VDPAU.
> >
> > FWIW, I've mentioned on the nvnews site several times about tearing +
> > an interlaced display.  I've received acknowledgments (which is more
> > than I ever got before) and bugs have been filed.  So far it still
> > doesn't work the way I would expect, but I still have some hope.  If you
> > haven't done so already I'd encourage you to try VDPAU and post your
> > results to one of the VDPAU threads at nvnews.

[...snip...]
> Thanks for the reply Seth.  That does sound pretty nice.  I may give
> it a try at some point, though I need a new video card to support
> it...I have a 7100GS card.
>
> One thing confuses me though.  I use that same patch you're referring
> to (to allow Bob 2x on 1080i output).  When you use VDPAU and enable
> Bob 2x, the Bob deinterlacing is handled by VDPAU?

Yes, when using VDPAU the card will handle the deinterlacing.  That's
where some of the major savings in CPU comes in.

> Other than the performance improvement, do you see a noticeable
> improvement in the picture quality using it?

I certainly think I do. :o)  If nothing else the playback seems
smoother.  With 1080i + software Bob 2x I would occasionally see what
looked like a skip of a frame or two.  I don't see that with hardware
Bob 2x.

--
seth /\ sethdaniel.org