[mythtv-users] Hauppauge remote and mythfrontend 0.21: strange delay

Steve Wesemeyer swesemeyer at ntlworld.com
Tue Feb 24 20:48:12 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 24 February 2009 11:18:27 Steve Wesemeyer wrote:
> Hiya,
>
> I have recently upgraded my mythtv install from 0.20-fixes to 0.21.1-fixes
> (while also upgrading Opensuse 10.3 to 11.1). Everything upgraded with
> almost no hitch. However, there is one thing that I can't seem to figure
> out. I'm using a Nova-T 500 DVB-T and a Nova-S DVB-S card and my remote(the
> standard Hauppauge remote that comes with these cards) is connected to the
> Nova-T 500.
>
> The remote works fine and I can control the frontend from it. However, I
> have to wait for about 2 minutes after the frontend starts up before it
> responds to keypresses from the remote. In other words, mythfrontend is up
> and running. It just does not respond to keypresses from my remote for 2
> minutes while it does respond to keypresses from my wireless keyboard
> during that period. This used to work fine in the previous install.
>
> I ran the frontend with -v all and saw no obvious error messages. However,
> what I noticed was that the MediaMonitor in the frontend tried to mount
> various /dev/sdc, sdd, sde and sdf devices which correspond to the
> installed card-reader.
> Once it failed to mount these devices (which takes about 2 minutes) it
> starts monitoring the DVD-drive  and subsequent checks of the sdc, sde, sdf
> devices are much faster.This is the point at which the frontend starts
> responding to keypresses from my remote.

Well, I found the culprit. There is an option to monitor removable devices
hidden somewhere in Utilities/Setup->Setup->General that allows me to specify
the devices which MediaMonitor should not monitor. I added /dev/sdc
to /dev/sdf et voila the problem has gone away... Remote bliss has been
restored.

Cheers,
 Steve