[mythtv-users] The $99 frontend is here. Is this too good to be true?

Justin The Cynical cynical at penguinness.org
Tue Feb 24 19:42:58 UTC 2009

Yan Seiner wrote:
> Justin The Cynical wrote:
>>

>> Myself, I'm looking at one for a firewall to replace the dodgy VIA 800
>> Mhz board I have now.  Just don't know how noisy these things are...
> ?????
>
> A *firewall*?
>
> http://www.openwrt.org and get one of the supported routers.  You can
> pick one up on ebay < $50 and most APs draw < 100ma with the radio
> turned off.  You can create up to 4 vlans as well.

Too small.  It couldn't handle multiple static IP's very well, didn't do
a proper DMZ (not enough physical interfaces), and I was running into
memory limitations.

And now with one of the people here at the house (one of my users?)
being involved with the FSU project (Hard Light Productions for more),
as well as hosting two, perhaps three very soon, svn repos for projects,
and the torrents associate with said projects, the WRT just isn't quite
up to the task.

I've already retired my old Linksys running DD-WRT.  Less power, sure,
but it just couldn't handle the load.