[mythtv-users] 0.22 themes - what have people seen?

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 18:04:09 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 9:53 AM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 3:04 AM,  <paul10 at planar.id.au> wrote:
>>> A couple of links to get you started :-)
>>
>> Aha, that would be a pretty poor effort of looking on my part then
>> wouldn't it!!  Some very good stuff there, and some things I was trying to
>> understand from the theme files themselves is probably making more sense.
>
> Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I am trying to get a
> sense as to what kind of horsepower will be required to get all this
> new eye candy running well.  I can currently play my HD recordings and
> have a Sempron 3100+ (I know I am pushing the limits of that
> processor, but it works fine for me w/o using xvmc).  I also have the
> OpenGL fades on and no problem there.
>
> Can I expect to be able to take advantage of most of the new features
> of the mythui?

You won't have any trouble taking advantage of individual features of
MythUI-- in most respects, MythUI features won't be any more processor
intensive than the old UI as that's not really what MythUI aims to do.
 MythUI is just the "toolset" which gives the themers maximum
flexibility to create dazzling and fun effects, allowing them to
combine multiple simple widgets into complex flashy effects.  So, more
or less, with MythUI one could create very simple, non-resource
intensive themes, or ones which will push slower systems to their
limits (or beyond).  The "target system" is left in the hands of the
themers, really.  For my part, my theme will be on the highest end.
It will almost certainly not run well on lower powered systems.  Work
is being done to increase the speed of some things which may lower the
resource barrier to entry on my theme, but I am not focused on making
it available to people with underpowered systems-- I think that what
Myth needs (and what I want to use) is a theme which tosses legacy
functionality to the wind, and that means accepting that *my*
particular theme will only run on higher-end systems.

Terra (the new default theme) should have a nice mix of MythUI
features while still running well on lower-powered machines.

So, in short, the answer is... "depends."  :)

Robert