[mythtv-users] I hope all you VDPAU users are updating the wiki

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Tue Feb 24 02:38:45 UTC 2009

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 03:09:17AM -0800, Ian Forde wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-02-21 at 22:25 -0800, Brad Templeton wrote:
> > Right now I am happily skipping most of the VDPAU threads as I don't
> > have any 8x or 9x series video cards.  Some day I will and will then want
> > to get the latest on what cards work best, what performance they get, and
> > any pitfalls in setting them up.
>
> I'd like to note that I've been using VDPAU on trunk quite happily for
> the last month or so...
>
> > I have learned the hard way with mythtv that if you value your time at
> > all, the best thing to do is to just find out what hardware works the
> > most easily, and get it, even if it is more expensive than some other
> > hardware.
>
> Now THAT is a perfectly valid philosophy.  One to which I subscribe
> wholeheartedly. ;)
>
> > Anyway, so if you are learning and experimenting with vdpau, please update
> > a mythtv wiki page with information on your successes and failures with various
> > cards (and versions of myth!)
>
> It's pretty simple, actually - install driver, compile with VDPAU
> support, change setup options, profit!
>
> 	-I
>
> P.S. Haven't seen you on the list in a while - missed your postings!

It's too high volume to read every day.

What I mean is selection of cards.  We've learned here that the GPU core
revision matters, that the 8400 series can do vc-1 but not the higher
end units, but that they are better at interlace, and just how much power
is needed to do the best interlacing on 1080i.   I would love the wiki
to remember all that when it comes time for me to buy a new video card.

(Though my main front end has AGP, so if I want to get it a new card I
will have to get the PCI based cards, and find another home for the
pvr-150 sitting in the PCI slot or get a USB tuner card or similar to
replace it.   So I am particularly interested in how those do, on
a system with just a 3ghz-p4.)