[mythtv-users] Suggestions for dual-headed configuration

Aaron Plattner aplattner at nvidia.com
Mon Feb 23 23:01:27 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 08:21:54AM -0800, Allen Edwards wrote:
> As it is, the DVI->HDMI cable goes across the room so the normal case is
> that it's unplugged and will only be plugged in when I need it. In the longer
> term, I will not need this any more, but for now, I do.
>
> Richard
>
> Then you will need to tell X what the monitor's specs are. I have seen this information posted.  I did a search and these should help:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Modeline_Database
> http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/173.14.12/README/appendix-b.html

As someone mentioned in a different thread, you're better off saving the
EDID to a file with the "Acquire EDID" button in the nvidia-settings
display page, then using the CustomEDID option documented in Appendix B to
feed it back into the driver instead of having it try to read it from the
display device.  No mucking about with modelines is required.

-- Aaron