[mythtv-users] database access

James Crow james at ultratans.com
Mon Feb 23 15:47:15 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-02-22 at 13:30 -0500, backuppc at sundquist.imapmail.org
wrote:
> My mythtv basically works perfectly (Mythbuntu 8.04,upgraded from a
> 7.10).  However, I have a problem with nuvexport, which had previously
> worked great (not sure when it broke)
>
> Now, when I try to run it I get
> DBI
> connect('database=mythconverg:host=localhost;port=3306','mythtv',...)
> failed: Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'localhost' (using password:
> YES) at /usr/share/perl5/MythTV.pm line 337
> Cannot connect to database:
>
> However, the user mythtv must be able to access the database because
> mythtv works in other ways.
>
> If I run
> $ mysql -u mythtv -p <actual password> mythconverg
>
> I get an interesting result.  It appears to let me in, but then I get
>
> mysql  Ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.51a, for debian-linux-gnu (i486) using
> readline 5.2
> Copyright (C) 2002 MySQL AB
> This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software,
> and you are welcome to modify and redistribute it under the GPL license
> Usage: mysql [OPTIONS] [database]
>   -?, --help          Display this help and exit.
> <<etc. etc.  - a list of all the command line options>>
>
> and I am dumped back to my bash shell.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Another data point: I recently tried to import a DVD and I got this
> message:
>
> "Cannot connect to your Myth Transcoding Daemon.  You can try hitting
> any number key to start it.  If you still see this message, then
> something is really wrong"
>
> So something is really wrong.  Is this related?
>
> Jon S.
 In Mythbuntu 8.10 (and I am pretty sure 8.04) the correct
login/password is saved in the /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt file. Double check
the settings saved there with what you see from the nuvexport script.

The reason why your command line connection fails is the space between
the '-p' and the password. When the command line mysql receives an
invalid option it dumps a help message. Try something like:

mysql -u mythtv -pmythpass mythconverg

Replacing mythpass with your real password.

Cheers,
James