[mythtv-users] Rolling back Nvidia driver -- there has to be a better way

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 06:12:32 UTC 2009

Solved!

Thanks to everyone for the help.  I did very much what Raphael suggested
with the exception that I simply used envyng -t and option 2 to uninstall
the existing driver.  I did not search and destroy any other files.  Then I
opened a terminal and issued the gdm stop command.  That closed X and I did
CTRL-ALT-F1 and then logged in and installed the backdated driver that I
wanted from the nvidia archive that I had previously downloaded.  I got a
bunch of error messages that I thought talked about not being able to back
up files that I had uninstalled and said yes to creating the new kernel
modules.  When I restarted the system it was only slightly messed up but
copying my old xorg.conf file over straightened everything out and the
system works much better now in several ways.  I an now able to run with SGP
and don't get the endless buffer error messages in the log.

Many people have said not to update a myth system unless you have a problem
you can't live without solving.  I can second that thought.

Allen