[mythtv-users] VDPAU datapoint

Kevin Bailey ke-myth at retriever.dyndns.org
Sun Feb 22 16:46:36 UTC 2009

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 11:02:15AM +1100, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:

> There's no reason why using any deinterlacers would *pegged* the CPU ;
> everything is done through the GPU..

Black screen, myth not responding, top says its at 99%.
<shrug>

I suspect a description of the symptoms of when a card
can't support a de-interlace method would be helpful.

> You will get tearing unless you disable composite.

Ok, better. Sorry, should have at least tried it
before reporting.

> > For settings, I have enabled real-time threads (although
> > I'm certain its actually taking), extra audio buffering,
>
> You shouldn't ; in my experience it creates problem and can hang X for
> a few seconds.

Could this have caused the "pegging" ? Advanced 1x is now working
(not that I'm certain it wasn't...)

> > horsepower, I would say, "Don't bother as the de-interlacing
> > is nothing to write home about." (then, I have a 8500GT) but
> > if you have a struggling CPU, or want to go the $100 STB
> > route, here's your ticket.
>
> It's because you didn't get the deinterlacers going properly.
>
> The one thing interesting for me with VDPAU is the quality of the deinterlacers.
> Advanced 1X or Advanced 2X gave the best result.

Well, maybe I just don't have the eyes to see the difference
but it seems to do the same thing as software.

Still, I'm _very_ excited to be doing it at such low CPU rates.