[mythtv-users] Nvidia GF8200 and VDPAU performance limits ?

Stefan Reichel stefan.reichel at rapid-net.de
Sun Feb 22 16:26:30 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-02-22 at 09:55 -0500, George Mogielnicki wrote:
> > On Sun, 2009-02-22 at 11:09 +1100, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> >> Hi

> >> With the current nvidia drivers, If you don't disable Composite then yes

> >> the 8xxx aren't the fastest.
> >> To me it seems the the number of 3D shader units is a better
> >> assessment on how well a video card will do VDPAU.
> >> A reason why my 8400gs running at 678 MHz doesn't do a job anywhere as
> >> good as my old 8600GT running at 600MHz
> >
> > My 8200 board handles vdpau quiet well, no problems even with Bob
> > deinterlacer and hd content. The only problem is the slow 2d
> > performance, but this seems to be a general nvidia issue.
> >
> > Stefan
> >

> Stefan;
>
> Are you running 0.22 or 0.21-fixes ? Also, what is your HD source and
> resolution. I'm capturing HD-PVR and 1080.
>
> George

Im running mythtv svn 19974 with the latest nvidia driver 180.29. Mythtv
deals with normal digital cable tv, this is only sd content. I also play
dvd's and for 1080 testing, several hd trailers e.g. "I am legend" MPEG4
AVC/H.264 with 1920x816.

Link: h**p://www.hdtv-praxis.de/downloads/IamLegend.zip

Everything with no problem. If i had more time i would rip a blueray to
play it with MythTv, till then hd trailers must be enough.

Stefan