[mythtv-users] Stupid question - deinterlacing

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 06:34:15 UTC 2009

Hi

2009/2/22 Phil Wild <philwild at gmail.com>:
> Perhaps this is a stupid question. I have a 1080p plasma panel and
> watching the OTA 1080i signal, the picture looks real good. So to me,
> that would infer that the TV has a good quality de-interlacer built
> in. I don't know if it is possible, but could mythtv switch the video
> signal of the graphics card to match the OTA stream and leave it to
> the TV to perform the work in making the picture look as good as it
> can on the display?

I tried that.

I set my Sony Bravia TV to 1080i and fed it 1080i signal via MythTV
after turning off all deinterlacer ; result:  it looked crap

Like no deinterlacing happened at all.

Some people commented that there was an issue with nvidia cards not
outputting an interlaced signal properly ...

Jean-Yves