[mythtv-users] Looking for Dual Head Help

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 01:55:25 UTC 2009

I played around a little.  This might help.  I hooked up a TV to my remote
FE so I could try a few things.  First I took your xorg.conf file and could
not get the TV to work with it.  I didn't troubleshoot it that much but
instead just ran nvidia-settings and let it set up the two displays by
enabling the TV and setting it up as separate displays, not twinview.  I
restarted X and all was well.  I have two desktops and can start myth on
either one.  It works differently than my main setup and is actually better
I think.  If you have not tried this start from scratch approach, you might
give it a try.  I did have trouble saving the file and had to save it in my
home directory and copy it in to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.  It actually brought up
two desktops complete with scroll bars to launch programs.  I had not seen
that before but then again I am running a different desktop manager on the
two machines.  This one is more of a complete Ubuntu system that I use to
run php scrips as well as watch myth.
Anyway, the important thing was that the mouse was free to move to either
desktop and didn't get stuck as you are describing.

Below is what was created in case you want to compare.

Allen

----------------------xorg.conf-----------------------------------------
# nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
# nvidia-settings:  version 1.0  (buildd at vernadsky)  Thu Jun  5 09:26:53 UTC
2008

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    Screen      1  "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
    RgbPath         "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load           "dbe"
    Load           "extmod"
    Load           "type1"
    Load           "freetype"
    Load           "glx"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option         "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    # HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "ViewSonic E90f"
    HorizSync       30.0 - 86.0
    VertRefresh     50.0 - 150.0
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    # HorizSync source: builtin, VertRefresh source: builtin
    Identifier     "Monitor1"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "TV-0"
    HorizSync       28.0 - 33.0
    VertRefresh     43.0 - 72.0
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Videocard0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "GeForce FX 5200"
    BusID          "PCI:1:0:0"
    Screen          0
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Videocard1"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "GeForce FX 5200"
    BusID          "PCI:1:0:0"
    Screen          1
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Videocard0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "TwinView" "0"
    Option         "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "CRT-0"
    Option         "metamodes" "CRT: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen1"
    Device         "Videocard1"
    Monitor        "Monitor1"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "TwinView" "0"
    Option         "metamodes" "TV: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection