[mythtv-users] HDHomerun in Australia w/MyhtTV

Ben Coleman arrikhan_mail at yahoo.com.au
Sun Feb 22 00:59:39 UTC 2009

The GUIGuy wrote:
> Ben Coleman wrote:
>>
>> This seems like a very friendly way to get things working w/linux &
>> myth as I know how painful my original tuners were to get running.
>>

> Hi Ben,
> I was tempted to get one at the price. But then I thought, another
> box, more cables :(
>
> Anyway, my backend already has 6 tuners :P
>
> Cheers

My tuners are quite old, PCI based (got 4 HD's on two cards in total)
but have always wanted to setup mythbackend under VM so I can port to
diff PC's on hardware upgrades, and run on ANY PC, rather than always
worrying about rebuilds.

Tuners are the most finicky, like all new hardware to linux, you can't
just drop the latest hardware in most of the time. My original myth
setup took 6 months to go live waiting on the write patches/support for
hardware I bought at the time (latest release stuff of course) and the like.

All comes down to WAF ... and *always* having a system available.
Removing Tuners from the backend allows me to port to VM, and the HDHR
allows me to not worry about another PC in the house. Saves power, money
.. etc..

Still trying to work out power consumption of this baby. Be nice if I
could control it with a 12v signal to turn it on/off via myth when needed :)

BC.