[mythtv-users] Boxee/Hulu?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Sat Feb 21 15:02:25 UTC 2009

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 12:16:12AM -0500, Scott D. Davilla wrote:
>> That said, Boxee must have been doing something that violates a
>> copyright law or they could have just ignored what hulu said.  They
>> must have needed an agreement from hulu to do what they wanted.
>
> Hulu on Boxee was blessed by Hulu until their content providers asked
> Hulu to drop Boxee. Boxee dropped Hulu because they want access to more
> content from the very same content providers that forced Hulu to drop
> Boxee.
>
> It's called media politics, Boxee could have said f*** you but Boxee has
> a much bigger picture in mind so they must step carefully. XBMC (and
> others) on the other hand has a much different agenda.
>
> What you really have to ask is, when is a browser not a browser? How
> much can you streamline before it's not a browser anymore.

   Hey, it's one thing to acknowledge that Hulu "politely" asked Boxee
to stop accessing their content. It's quite another to imply that Boxee
was doing something immoral or possibly illegal.

   Big content has already pushed us most of the way down a slippery slope
already. There's no point in us helping them. They are the ones being jerks.
They are the ones acting like megalomaniacs and we should not try to blame
the real victim here.