[mythtv-users] overscan problems with nvidia 8400 GS

jarpublic at gmail.com jarpublic at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 20:55:31 UTC 2009

I recently built a new frontend. I got an asus 8400gs card so that I would
be ready for a future where I own a HDTV and mythtv .22. However I am
currently hooked up to a SD TV with s-video. I have tried running both the
177 and 173 drivers. There is quite a bad overscan problem. I am using
Ubuntu and the desktop panels and menus are barely visible because of the TV
overscan. Normally I have been able to fix this with the overscan setting in
nvidia-settings or my using the TVOverscan option in xorg.conf, however,
neither of these have any effect. I figure I can deal with this fine by just
using the screen setup wizard in mythfrontend. This helps get the mythtv
screen the right size, but now I can see the gnome panel at the top of the
screen on top of mythtv. I seem to have seen this come up before but I
couldn't find it in the archives.

Is there a way to use nvidia's normal overscan settings with the 8400gs? Or
if I adjust the screen size with mythtv screen setup, how do I make it so
the gnome panel isn't on top of mythtv?