[mythtv-users] OT: RCN cable opinions?

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 18:20:42 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 7:39 AM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>  Comcast is burning their already short string with me these last few
> months, and since I'm lucky enough to have the ability to switch to a
> different cable providor, RCN, I'm thinking about doing it. The costs
> are basically the same though RCN seems to have more basic HD
> channels.
> So, my question to you all is, what are people's experience with
> RCN?Would I be trading one rabid dog for another?
> Do their HD boxes work well with firewire capture in Myth?

I switched from Comcast to RCN about 3 years ago but my experience may
not be the same as yours as I live in the SF and Astound has purchased
RCN out here a year or two ago (although my comments apply to before
the purchase):

I have a love-hate relationship with RCN/Astound.  First, I was very
happy to move away from Comcast for the obvious reasons, and received
a very good package when I switched.  They gave me a package with
every premium channel and faster Internet for about $10 a month
cheaper than what I was paying Comcast (where I only had HBO as a
premium).  In fact, I think they made it cheaper to add Showtime and
other channels than to package without it.  The other big plus is that
I get every channel (with a a few exceptions) clear over firewire so I
can capture all my premium channels and get full HD.  The latter point
is why I won't switch back to Comcast, but based on this thread, I
don't think (nearly) full firewire output is the norm nationwide.
Finally, when I do speak to the reps, I feel like the customer service
is a little better than with Comcast (not a hard standard to meet).
For example, when I tell them I already power cycled, and can isolate
the problem for them, they work with me instead of making me run
through their checklist.

The bad part is the quality seems to be lacking a bit.  I get macro
blocking, stutters, and some other signal quality issues.  These are
not myth issues as they occur when I have the box plugged straight
into my TV.  And it affects certain channels more (really embarrassing
when I had people over for the superbowl as NBD HD is one of those
channels).  Hopefully, when the service tech visits next week, this
will be solved.  I also don't get as many HD channels as Comcast and
DirecTV deliver in my area; however, considering that I can't capture
those channels via firewire if I switched (and have no desire to spend
the money to upgrade to HD-DVR and VPDAU right now), this is fairly
moot.