[mythtv-users] Mplayer, Vobsub, and rar

MacNean Tyrrell dardack at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 13:42:52 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 2:12 PM, Scott Alfter <mythtv at salfter.dyndns.org>wrote:

> MacNean Tyrrell wrote:
>
>> nervous about waking up the kids) anyways, if they are forced subtitles
>> (like in Star Wars) I just have them rendered directly onto the movie.
>>

> How do you do that?  I have some movies that I'm transcoding for my iPhone,
> and
> my attempts so far at including subtitles (forced or otherwise) have come
> up
> blank.  I've ripped the source subpictures and run them through SubRip to
> produce a text file with all of the subtitle information.  Playing (with
> mplayer) the ripped video with the subtitle file in the same directory will
> render subtitles, but encoding (with mencoder) leaves the subtitles out.

Sorry I took so long to respond.  Shortly after I sent this, work got
crazy.  I use dvd::rip which has an option to encode the subtitles right
onto the video, so the ones that a DVD would normally force, like when
someone talks in a foreign language and they put the words up, I directly
encode them onto the video.  The only thing with dvd::rip that I ahven't
figued out is how to encode it on the bottom black rectangle on widescreen
movies.

>  _/_
>  / v \ Scott Alfter
> (IIGS( http://alfter.us/            Top-posting!
>  \_^_/ rm -rf /bin/laden            >What's the most annoying thing on
> Usenet?

Sincerely,

MacNean C. Tyrrell