[mythtv-users] The best VDPAU video card

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Feb 20 06:13:51 UTC 2009

On Thursday 19 February 2009 22:47:55 Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:

> If you want something fanless, it will have to be a 8400, 8600, 9400
> or 9500. I don't think there are any fanless 9600 and above

I just got a fanless 9500, one thing to watch out for:

It may cost you a PCI slot, many heatsinks (like mine) are so large they block
the adjacent PCI slot.

You might want to look for a mobo that has extra space, or perhaps a
PCIExpress-X1 slot next to it, those don't get used often.

It frustrated me to lose an encoder due to this, and I would rather have had
to put up with a fan. Usually you can replace the crappy fan that comes with
graphics cards with a good quality one which is more reliable and quieter.

Ideally I'd like to use no internal capture devices, but the PVRs are great
for baseband capture.

--
beww
beww at beww.org