[mythtv-users] VPDAU patches

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 05:10:42 UTC 2009

> If you use the berkanos overlay and annoyingly mask every mplayer build in the official portage tree it will work.  This is what I've resorted to thus far.  As far as mythtv goes, I have yet to try anything VDPAU related in that field, as I'm ridiculously comfortable with the build for it.

I just installed it a few minutes ago from the berkano overlay. I
first installed mplayer-1.0_rc2_p28348 but did not read the docs so
when I git 35% cpu usage on 1 core playing a HD 1080i MPEG2 on my
Q9550 I thought something was wrong so I then installed the live
ebuild

jmd0 ~ # equery list  mplayer
[ Searching for package 'mplayer' in all categories among: ]
 * installed packages
[I--] [ ~] media-video/mplayer-9999-r21 (0)

And after adding -vc ffmpeg12vdpau -vo vdpau the same HD video churns
away at 3% cpu usage on 1 core again. Amazing. Then I played a sample
H.264 and it hit similar 30 to 40% cpu @ 2.83GHz and with

 mplayer -vc ffh264vdpau -vo vdpau

my cpu usage was between 3 to 15% and this was at 2GHz (speedstep)
instead of 2.83GHz.

And for masking this is the only thing I added to my keywords file:

=media-video/mplayer-1.0_rc2_p28348
=media-video/mplayer-9999*

John