[mythtv-users] [OT]HDMI, SPDIF, DVI Nvidia, etc

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 20:40:15 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 12:32 PM, Calvin Harrigan <
charriglists at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> OK, disaster might be a bit strong.
>
> I've been looking for good information on disabling the audio portion of
> the video card output for almost a week.  My problem is with my new video
> card, when I connect it to the tv it sees that it is hdmi auddio capable and
> enables audio over the dvi->hdmi cable.  Doing so caused the tv to ignore
> the stereo analog signal that it's being fed and try to play the hdmi audio
> which is most times just crackling noises.  If I connect my spdif output to
> a little connector on the video card I can get audio for several
> applications (mythtv being one), but not all, worst than that after the
> audio stops the crackling noises begin again, especially after using xine.
>  I would really like to disable that hdmi audio feature, but what I've found
> on the nvidia forums is not working.
>        I'm running Linux kernel 2.6.24 with Nvidia drivers 180.29 drivers
> with a 9500GT (G96). Nvidia is rightfully claiming that the TV is telling
> the driver via it's edid (Extension Block Details really) that the tv has
> audio capabilities via hdmi. With that information I downloaded my TVs edid
> and edited it to remove all references to having audio and redid the
> checksums etc. X thinks the edid is fine, so does monitor asset manager, but
> for some reasons it seems that the driver still enables audio. The only way
> I can disable audio for sure is to remove the entire Extension Block, but
> doing so removes several of the extended supported modes that I use. Seems
> that the driver is only looking for the presence of an extension block and
> is not really reading into it to discern whether or not the set supports
> audio. I can send both edids the original and the patched versions if anyone
> would like to take a look.
>        Anyone have similar issues/problems?  Any input would be greatly
> appreciated, thanks.
>
> Calvin

I will just point out that I had a problem where some applications would
work with spdif and some would not and I had to connect an analog cable for
sound from those applications. After putting the wiki together and following
it, I now have all applications putting out sound through the spdif putput
and have disconnected the analog cable.  The wiki has three setups for hdmi
audio and I must admit to not knowing which ones work the best or at all but
I think they all should work.  If you have not already done so, you might
give them a try.
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki?title=AllensDigitalAudioHowto

Please let me know what your experience is with the three setups if you try
them so I can refine the wiki for the next person.

Allen