[mythtv-users] pci sound card with spdif

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 15:11:57 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 10:57 PM, Phil Wild <philwild at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I feel like I post on here with lots of problems and very few answers.
> Hopefully that will change at some point...
>
> I have been plagued with poor output since building my mythbuntu frontend.
>
> If I am using vdpau, everything is good except for a lag in audio and
> lots and lots of these messages:
>
> WriteAudio: buffer underrun
>
> One of the things mentioned in the wiki is "get a new sound card". I
> am using onboard audio and output a digital signal via hdmi (but would
> also be happy sending out via spdif as well). I don't have a problem
> when I turn on additional buffering but I am then plagued with the
> audio being annoyingly out of sync from the video.
>
> Can anyone suggest a good LOW PROFILE sound card (with SPDIF) that is
> not too expensive? It has to be low profile PCI to fit in my case
> (Antec Micro Fusion 350)

I always recommend the Turtle Beach Riviera cards and any card based on the
same chipset (CMI8738).  These cards have optical SPDIF out that *just
work*.  I have a low profile card that was sold as an AOpen Cobra but I
don't think these are available easily anymore:
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16829117108

It does, however, look like this Startech product is based on the same
chipset
http://www.directron.com/pcisound5ch.html but lacks the spdif output.

Good luck, I hope this helps even though I don't have a specific product

Kevin