[mythtv-users] Proposed future power saving networked configuration (0.22 in mind)

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu Feb 19 11:27:33 UTC 2009

Chris Pinkham wrote:

> <snip my comments about my nfs root setup>
>
>> This sounds really cool, perhaps you can reply to me off list and
>> describe more how you've got it set up?
>
> It's pretty simple and won't take up much time/space.  I installed
> CentOS 5 on a system.  Then copied that drive to my fileserver.
> Each nfsroot client gets their own main directory containing a
> dedicated /etc, /var/log, and /tmp (also /var/tmp points to /tmp).

(snipped explanation)

I'm sure I'm not alone in being interested in how you do this. I'm running
minimyth plus LTSP here, but there are reasons why I'm thinking of running a fat
net-booted client, and your setup is the most detailed modern description I've
seen which shows how it's done. Oh, I've done the google thing, but what little
is out there is fairly old (or my google-fu sucks, entirely possible...).

Would it be possible for you to make a wiki entry with your setup, in more
detail than you've posted to the list? I'm sure several of us, if not more,
would appreciate it. Getting whiney disks out of front ends is an admirable
objective.

Specific questions: do you generate a specific kernel for these, or can you use
stock kernels? What about the initrd/initramfs, how do you set these up?

--

Mike Perkins