[mythtv-users] Proposed future power saving networked configuration (0.22 in mind)

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Thu Feb 19 02:56:44 UTC 2009

* On Thu Feb 19, 2009 at 09:44:28AM +1000, David Whyte wrote:
> I am intrigued by your (proposed) setup but am getting confused by
> what you will have as a real machine and as a virtual machine.  Any
> chance you could knock-up a quick block diagram of it all.  Any
> insight into the distro(s) you are using for your host and guests etc
> would be much appreciated too.

Not a block diagram, but here's a simple text description of what I'm
currently headed towards:

- Master Backend VM with no tuners, nfsroot based

- MySQL DB VM w/ dedicated minimum CPU/Memory resources configured

- Physical Fileserver w/ slave backend for HDHR tuners
  - dual nics, one for recording from HDHR tuners, one for everything
    else
  - all video storage mounted on all backends/frontends
  - houses nfsroot files

- WOL Slave #1, nfsroot based

- WOL Slave #2, nfsroot based

I need to look at my recording schedules to see if it would be more
beneficial to put all analog tuners in one WOL slave and the air2pc
ATSC tuners in the other WOL slave or to mix them up and have one or
more analog and one ATSC tuner in each WOL slave.

With the above config. the only things on 24x7 would be the VMware
server and the Fileserver, both of which are used for other things
outside of MythTV.

Once I get the backends straight, I'll start dealing with the power
consumption of the frontends.

> (I am building a house and have been thinking about how I should
> configure my setup, which (hopefully) will eventually include
> home-automation, IP-cameras, mythTV etc.)

Run a search on the mailing list, this comes up every so often and
lots of people have posted pretty good ideas.

--
Chris