[mythtv-users] Wireless USB Hub ???

Robert RobertCL at iname.com
Wed Feb 18 15:58:47 UTC 2009

On Wed, February 18, 2009 3:27 pm, Brian Wood wrote:
> I just saw a product in the latest TigerDirect catalog (yes, a paper
> catalog)
> that claims to be a "wireless USB hub", Belkin F5L009 (catalog XVIII,28 -
> page 21,).
>
> Seems the claim is you can access any USB device wirelessly, or, in their
> language, "Access any functional USB device without plugging in", using a
> wireless router for access. Why I might want to access a non-functional
> device I'm not sure.
>
> No mention of speeds possible, but I wondered if it would allow devices
> such
> as the HD-PVR-1212 or the Plextor PX-TV-402U to be accessed wirelessly.
>
> I'm wondering if the speed would be fast enough for HD (the blurb mentions
> draft "N" router), and if any sort of Windows-centric drivers are
> required.
>
> I'm not so interested in the "wireless" aspect of the device, but the
> possibility of accessing USB devices through a wired network, more or less
> making the HD-PVR or the Plextor, or any other USB capture device, similar
> the HDHR in that respect.
>
> I've already run into problems trying to run a USB cable to my garage, due
> the distance involved. Any solution to this problem I have looked into is
> much more expensive than this device ($89). My new B/E will be in the
> garage,
> but the HD-PVR has to be close to my DISH receiver. Ethernet to the garage
> is
> easy.
>
> Anyone have any experience with such a device? Thoughts?

I've seen something similar and had similar thoughts to you - would it
work, etc.

I believe the "wireless usb" hubs were introduced last year (as a
standard??), with Belkin being the first to actually manufacture a device.
 My understanding of these was that you plugged a (usb) receiver into your
Windows PC and a driver made the devices plugged into the hub appear as
usb devices on your PC.

I've always assumed that this was all Windows only (until someone writes a
Linux driver anyway).

The idea of a USB hub that plugs into ethernet sounds interesting though
(I'm thinking webcams on the end of a (wireless)network connection).  But,
I'd be interested to know if they are sending tcp/ip data or just
transmitting usb signals over CAT5/6 cable (like most of the "HD video
over ethernet devices" do).  The former would be cool, the latter not as
useful...

Robert.