[mythtv-users] Transcoding ripped DVDs

gonzalo diethelm gdiethelm at dcv.cl
Wed Feb 18 15:58:08 UTC 2009

Hi Jon,

> Since nobody seems to have answered the question I think you're
> asking, let me give it a try..

;-)

> MythTV does not at this time support transcoding of video files in the
> mythvideo directory at all. You will have to do it from outside of
myth.

Ok.

> There are several different tools to do this. Mencoder and ffmpeg are
> two examples. You will have to learn the command line requirements to
> use either to transcode. On my mac I can use ffmpegx, which is just a
> gui for ffmpeg. I don't know what is good software for windows
> anymore, I haven't ripped anything on a windows box since way back
> before they made all in one apps to do it. Handbrake is a good program
> that is supposed to run on windows/linux/mac (I use it on my mac). You
> might try that, it will treat your video_ts directory like a DVD and
> 'rip' it and transcode to the format of your choice all at once.

I am installing Handbrake as I type this. From the description on the
web page, it looks awesome.

> > 3. Can anybody share recommendations on transcoding parameters for
> > the following cases? I would like to lower the space used by the
> > movies, but hopefully keeping the quality "good enough" (I am aware
> > that this is a subjective measure).
>
> As you are aware, this is VERY subjective. I tend to transcode things
> to xvid mpeg4 at 720x* (keeping aspect ratio) with a bitrate of
> 1500-2500. This is 'good enough' for me.

Your personal use case is a great hint, thanks.

> > 3.1. Older movies (think 2010, Godfather) that, although available
> > in DVD format, have a rather lower resolution than new movies and do
> > not benefit that much from having them in high quality MPEG format.
>
> Less bitrate.
>
> > 3.2. Newer movies (think Matrix, Madagascar) with much higher
quality.

> More bitrate.

Great answers... :-)

> I know the last 2 answers weren't what you were looking for, but
> really, you're going to have to transcode something and see if it's
> good enough, or not. Only you are going to be able to decide where to
> go from there. More bitrate=bigger files.
>
> I've even managed to transcode things at such a high bitrate that it
> INCREASED the filesize. Mind you, this clearly doesn't increase
> quality, but it is something to watch out for if you go too high...

Grand. I really appreciate your answering, this is exactly what I was
asking. Thanks and best regards,

--
Gonzalo Diethelm
DCV - Chile