[mythtv-users] Why cant we make a STB?

Jon Bishop jon.the.wise.gdrive at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 15:08:39 UTC 2009

On Feb 15, 2009, at 1:45 AM, Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
> If you are going to produce STBs with MythTV hunderds, thousands,
> etc people will be using this software. Not all of them will want to
> dig into the stuff as we do. They expect stuff to work.
> So recording a few channels off of one multiplex should just work,
> for weeks, months on end.

My backend is built using ancient hardware (okay, I built the computer
in 2001, it was a bleeding edge Intel P4 2.8HT) 2 HD and 1 PVR150
tuners recording up to 3 shows at a time, with a frontend always
connected and often playing something (I have a fishtank video that we
often run when we're not watching TV) and the master backend has been
up for 70 days, not missing a single recording, so while I don't
believe that the issues you report aren't there - I do believe that
they are related to something on your system other than myth. I can't
tell you what, because I didn't set your system up, but I can tell you
that I have not experienced the problems you are reporting, I am
running a fairly recent (month or two old) 21-fixes installed through
pacman (opensuse10.3) and transcode everything that I plan on keeping
more than a week. If my computer was losing memory, the mere gig of
ram that it has would not be able to handle that for very long.

~Jon