[mythtv-users] Deinterlacing settings for 6200 vs 8400GS and VDPU???

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Wed Feb 18 09:23:43 UTC 2009

Yeechang Lee wrote:
> Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net> says:
>> Don't get me wrong, not in any way criticising your advice, which is
>> all good, but something worth saying I think: although Bob is
>> excellent for avoiding motion artifacts (well in fact it should not
>> produce any), using it means you'll get no real advantage from
>> having a 1080 screen over a 720.
>
> Allen Edwards, the original poster, is using non-VDPAU Bob on a 720p
> projector display.

Yes, I just noticed that. For a 720p, Bob is probably a very good
choice. as you say.

> I've explained why I've used non-VDPAU Bob in the past:
> <URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/369187#369187>
> and
> <URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/370538#370538>.
> Am I glad I can now use a superior 2X deinterlacer wth VDPAU? Yes. Do
> I think Bob was the best choice I had available back in the day? Yes.

The only reason I brought it up is I can imagine people putting
together a system using MythTV, paying out for a 1080 TV, thinking
they'll get full advantage from the extra resolution over 720p
when they wont. Maybe it's less of an issue now VDPAU is here.

P.