[mythtv-users] Leaving...

Matthew McClement mythtv at macker.co.uk
Wed Feb 18 01:32:23 UTC 2009

Allen Edwards wrote:
>> Are you generally opposed to manners and etiquette?
>
> An interesting comment.
>
> What is the deal with plain text anyway?

HTML provides no benefit to a mailing list environment.

Instead HTML can break digests, is hard to strip out in a consistent and
valid automated manner(for archiving), enjoys an uneven spectrum of
support across various mailers, can fall foul of spam filters, bloats
messages(you're sending ~60% more as both HTML and plain text mails are
sent as separate mime parts) and leads to bad quoting habits(original
text in black and responses in different colours appears to be a
favourite). And that's just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are
more faults that others could think of.

I don't understand your earlier mail about attachments, which have
little to do with HTML. Plain text mails support attachments, they're
simply not inline with the actual text itself. Attachments are a
function of mime encoding and not HTML or the lack thereof.

On a side note, it's unfortunate to see Brad leaving although if the
suspect thread provided the final straw I can't blame him.

Matt