[mythtv-users] Leaving...

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Feb 17 22:00:11 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 17 February 2009 14:52:29 George Mogielnicki wrote:
> >> Maybe I'm off base and mailing lists should be able to scale
> >> indefinitely,
> >> but personally I find it hard to follow items of interest among so many
> >> mailings.
> >
> > Gmail is nice.  Filter these messages into a folder.  All the replies
> > show up in a single line.  Scan the subjects and the first line without
> > having to
> > open the message and star the ones you want to follow.  Then open the
> > stared
> > ones and mark the rest read.
> >
> > When you have a new question to ask, use gmails fantastic search to see
> > if has already been discussed.  After a few months, you can easily search
> > back
> > far enough to avoid asking a recently discussed questions.
> >
> > That points out why it is important to get the subject line correct.  And
> > way everyone has sympathy for some new poster who says "Help me please"
> > in the subject.  We were all there once.  I still am occasionally.
> >
> > Allen
>
> Wouldn't a forum be useful in directing all this traffic to it's proper
> place? I'm hanging around this forum http://www.pbxinaflash.com/forum/ and
> although it is very active, it does not overwhelm, nicely organized, great
> features.
>
> Why this list is not a forum ?

The short answer is: Isaac doesn't want it that way.

The longer answer is, it has been discussed to death in the past, and most
people don't seem to want it any more than Isaac.

IMHO forums take a lot longer to read, you are more likely to miss something
you want to see, and some are close to impossible to read on a phone or other
small device.

I especially dislike the fori that "rate" users based on number of posts,
labels like "noobie", "geek" and "expert" are pretty stupid, and probably
originate with the gamer world.

One intelligent post is better than a hundred inane ones, and encouraging
people to post for the same of upgrading their "rating" is
counter-productive.

Anyone is welcome to start a MythTV forum, and there are several good ones out
there for anyone who prefers that format.

--
beww
beww at beww.org