[mythtv-users] Slightly OT - How do I determine chipset of an nVidia card before I buy

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 21:04:45 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 9:52 AM, Travis Tabbal <travis at tabbal.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 1:45 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I understand that the 8400GS nvidia cards can have different cores,
>> and that G98 is the one to get.
>>
>> So how do I tell before purchase what is inside the card?
>>
>> (on topicness = I am going to use it to test vdpau :)
>

> Find someone that already has one and can verify which GPU it uses.
> Some people have started putting that information in reviews on Newegg
> and such as well.

Thanks, I found what I am very sure is the card on newegg (I cannot
buy from newegg as I am not in the US), and sure enough there is a
review that confirms its G98, works great in liunx  and reports:

MPEG2_SIMPLE 3
MPEG2_MAIN 3
H264_MAIN 41
H264_HIGH 41
VC1_SIMPLE 1
VC1_MAIN 2
VC1_ADVANCED 4

Finding a low profile card is NOT easy in this part of the world!
Bought what I thought was one but it doesn't match the pic on the
website, so I have sold it to a friend. On to round 2.

Nick.