[mythtv-users] One possible fix for high X load

Scott Harris scott at webhounds.net
Mon Feb 16 23:45:24 UTC 2009

I have been troubleshooting and debugging my high load when
watching SD content on and off for a few months.  This was live
tv or recordings.  HD (via mplayer and coreavc) played with
minimal issue.   I tried all the usual solutions and nothing really
ever worked.  There is absolutely no reason why an AMD
Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5600+ should run at +3 when playing
SD stuff.  This is with a GeForce 9400 GT, which BTW, was
an upgrade from a 5xxx series to see if that would fix the issue,
which it didn't.

So with this three day weekend and the only thing scheduled
to record being news, I decided to do a few HDD upgrades
and a clean install to see if that would fix the issue.

It did!

On a new 1.5Tb Seagate drive (not one of the ones affected by
the 30 second glitch) I reinstalled FC10.  Live TV now plays at
less than .5 and recordings are even better.  Very nice.
Unfortunately this doesn't really "solve" the issue, but it at least
fixes the issue.

My only speculation is that this system has been repeatedly
upgraded from FC6 up to FC10 and this somehow caused
some instability in different versions.  Doing the clean install
gutted the system of any unnecessary fluff which allows it
to run much better.

Scott