[mythtv-users] MythTV Transcode Proxy

stuart stuart at xnet.com
Mon Feb 16 23:06:10 UTC 2009

Chase Douglas wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I wanted to mention a project I've been working on call MythTV Transcode
> Proxy, or MTP. It allows for a slightly modified frontend to connect to
> a mythtv setup from across the internet, even if there are multiple
> slave backends and the system sits behind a NAT router. All control
> messages (and video streams if you want) are encrypted using TLS-SRP.
> Finally, and this is most interesting to me, the frontend can request
> the stream to be transcoded on the fly to a format of the frontend's
> choosing.
>
> More details can be found at
> http://trac.assembla.com/legend/wiki/MythTVTranscodeProxy.
>
> I would enjoy hearing of any and all comments, questions, and concerns
> anyone may have. My intention is that this can be used to allow for all
> kinds of atypical frontends, such as frontends on mobile devices. I am
> also currently working on an iPhone frontend, but it is very far from
> completion. However, I can attest that it can play back video streams
> from my backend to my iPhone on AT&T's 3G network.
>
> Thanks,
> Chase Douglas
>
> P.S.: I find Qt to be marvelous, but c++ itself to be clumsy (when
> compared to objective-c at least), so if anyone peeks at the code and
> sees any code misuse or design flaws, I'm all ears.

This is rather interesting.  I think a lot of people will be interested
for different reasons.  I am interested because the only thin client
that speaks native myth protocol can only handle Standard Definition /
Stereo Audio (see the mvpmc.org project).  This is fine for NTSC
recordings but falls apart for ATSC recordings of any type (SD or HD).

Up to now people have been using VLC in conjunction with mythtv systems
in an elaborate linking / mounting / scripting exorcise.  If this plugin
works, I can see shows being offered up to these boxes in a seamless
fashion.  Excellent!