[mythtv-users] Netflix Streaming on Myth box?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 16:24:32 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 7:50 AM, Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:
> Andrew Burgess <aab at cichlid.com> says:
>> About 11 Mbps if I did the arithmetic right
>
> Yes. By contrast, other HD cable and OTA channels (whether truly over
> the air or via cable) I have go up to, or close to, the theoretical
> 19.2Mbps maximum of ATSC/8VSB.
>
>> Netflix claims HD now through the Roku box and they recommend a
>> 4Mbps connection for HD.
>
> No more "HD" (at least by our standards) than the "HD" option on Vimeo
> videos.

They are providing 720p if you choose it as your default from the new
front setup screen option. This is new as of about a month ago.

Whether it's a 'good' 720p I couldn't say as I don't have the right TV
but that all depends on how much of the video they really try to send.
They can reduce the actual data and remain '720p'. It just becomes a
junkie 720p.

The Roku forums are still suggesting 2-4Mb/S is required so folks say
they can do it over DSL. I don't know.

There is a 'secret' menu on the NetFLix Player that allows you to
reduce how much bandwidth you are requesting. My experience is that I
can drop it pretty low before I start seeing really bad video on my
older large screen TV.

- Mark