[mythtv-users] [OT] [Australia] Which USB IR recevier?

Jon Whitear jon at whitear.org
Mon Feb 16 04:31:35 UTC 2009

Hello list,

I'm a bit confused about the options available for a USB IR receiver to use with LIRC on my frontend.

I currently have  DVico USB HID, which basically doesn't work. For the first ten minutes or so after power on, pressing a key on the remote causes repeated key presses until another key is pressed. This happens under both Gentoo and Mythbuntu 8.10. I believe it's a known problem with the DVico, and is very frustrating, especially when you have a two-year-old who's in a hurry to watch Bottletop Bill.

What are the options available, specifically in Australia? The lirc site notes support for a couple of commercial USB receivers (e.g. the Iguanaworks USB transceiver, InnovationOne's COMMANDIR USB Transceiver) but they're not sold locally. All the homebrew USB devices look pretty complicated e.g. they include microprocessors that require programming.  I'm looking for a simple, off-the-shelf, USB receiver that's available in Australia. Ideally, it would include a transmitter, and be able to power-on my frontend (but they're both nice-to-haves)

Anybody have any recommendations?

Cheers,

Jon

---- Msg sent via whitear.org @Mail