[mythtv-users] Waiting for a HD HomeRun before starting the MythTV backend

David Murphy dm1000 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 04:26:01 UTC 2009

Jay Summet wrote:

> To fix this problem, I created a script (wait_for_hdhr)

I had this issue with mythbuntu 8.04.1 and 8.10 despite the HDHR having
a static dhcp lease.

I fixed this problem by simply delaying the start of mythbackend:

"sudo mv /etc/rc2.d/S20mythtv-backend /etc/rc2.d/S99mythtv-backend"

I have yet to notice any adverse behavior. A delay script might be a bit
  more robust though, especially if you didn't have the option to assign
static leases.

I am not clear on why the default behavior of mythbuntu is to start the
mythtv stuff before dhcdbd.  Or perhaps mythbackend needs to query for
HDHRs more than one time before failing immediately?