[mythtv-users] MythTV box power usage

James Van Vleet james.vanvleet at verety.com
Mon Feb 16 03:43:23 UTC 2009

Allen Edwards wrote:
>That sounds great!

>Can this be applied to a FE/BE that would have to wake itself up to
record?  This could be a great power savings.

>The ideal would be for it to wake on LAN in some way so that it would
respond to mythweb requests that would be ideal.  I have no idea if
>this is possible.

>If this is not possible, perhaps I can build a low power BE and use
this to wake the FE.

>Allen

According to some entries in the mythtv wiki, it appears that a BE
should support setting an alarm with the Real Time Clock and having
itself woke up to record things.  I have never done this so someone else
would have to speak up.  In my case I have a dedicated BE that also runs
my SqueezeCenter, file server and webserver.  This would stays on all
the time and by FE is the one that sleeps.

-James