[mythtv-users] Screen Blanking

Al McIntosh al at allanmcintosh.com
Sun Feb 15 22:09:05 UTC 2009

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 9:11 AM, Jason Gauthier <jgauthier at lastar.com>wrote:

>  Hey all,
>

>   I've taken this as long and as far as I can.  Now, I need some ideas :(
>

> My frontend only display keeps going off.  This isn't your normal
> screensaver or DPMS off.  This looks like a video sync problem or something.
>
> I'm using a Sony 32" LCD TV attached via VGA.
>

> I can watch TV or recordings for an hour, or two.. and it's fine.  Other
> times, I will watch for 5 minutes and it goes off.
>
> Once it's off, there is no coming back on.  I have to reboot.
>

> What information can I provide to help figure this out?   I'm running
> mythbuntu, completely patched up. My video card appears to be an Intel
> 82865G.

The random times, to me, imply something is wrong like your GPU is over
heating, or is over clocked.
Are there any utilities available that would allow you to query your
graphics card to list temperature? I am unfamiliar with intel VGA.

Do you have another VGA cable to rule out the cable?
Do you have another VGA card, to rule that out?

Next time the screen blanks, can you ssh in or ctrl-alt-f1 and check `dmesg`
and other log files for clues.

Can you run the following and see what happens?

xset s noblank
xset s off
xset -dpms

What about the ubuntu desktop settings. Exit mythfrontend and remain logged
in and set the Ubuntu Desktop Settings

 * Power Management: System->Preferences->Power Management - "Put display to
sleep when inactive for" move the slider to the far right (never)
 * Screensaver: System->Preferences->Screensaver - uncheck "Activate
screensaver when computer is idle"