[mythtv-users] Problem with AC3, Audigy, and Pinnacle PCTV HD 800i

Adam Miskiewicz adam.skevy at mac.com
Sun Feb 15 21:54:34 UTC 2009

Hi -

I just purchased a Pinnacle PCTV HD 800i and am trying to get it setup with Myth. I have gone through and followed various tutorials, and have ALMOST everything working. Analog channels work great, and I even was able to get all my digital channels to tune (after two days worth of work). My receiver is hooked up to my Audigy cards' analog/digital port using a mono 3.5mm to RCA cable.

When I view the channels through my card in mplayer (which i have set up to use options channels=6 and afm=hwac3 in my mplayer config, so I just use the command "mplayer dvb://ABC12-HD" to view the channel), I get perfect passthrough. Channels with 2.1 work great, channels with 5.1 work great, etc, etc, etc. However, when I view those channels in MythTV, I get a buzzing sound. I have sound coming to the receiver from the analog side, but no luck from the digital.  My myth settings and aplay outputs are listed below.  If anyone has any other questions or if I forgot something please feel free to ask.  I'm beating my head against the wall with this.  I've spent two days getting everything working, and right when everything's almost done, this happens.

I thank anyone for any assistance they may be able to provide.

-Adam Miskiewicz

Information from:

aplay -L:

front:CARD=Audigy,DEV=0
    Audigy 1 [SB0090], ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback
    Front speakers
rear:CARD=Audigy,DEV=0
    Audigy 1 [SB0090], ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback
    Rear speakers
center_lfe:CARD=Audigy,DEV=0
    Audigy 1 [SB0090], ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback
    Center and Subwoofer speakers
surround40:CARD=Audigy,DEV=0
    Audigy 1 [SB0090], ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback
surround41:CARD=Audigy,DEV=0
    Audigy 1 [SB0090], ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback
surround50:CARD=Audigy,DEV=0
    Audigy 1 [SB0090], ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback
surround51:CARD=Audigy,DEV=0
    Audigy 1 [SB0090], ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback
iec958:CARD=Audigy,DEV=0
    Audigy 1 [SB0090], ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
null

------------------------

aplay -l

card 0: Audigy [Audigy 1 [SB0090]], device 0: emu10k1 [ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback]
  Subdevices: 32/32
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
  Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
  Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
  Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
  Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
  Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
  Subdevice #7: subdevice #7
  Subdevice #8: subdevice #8
  Subdevice #9: subdevice #9
  Subdevice #10: subdevice #10
  Subdevice #11: subdevice #11
  Subdevice #12: subdevice #12
  Subdevice #13: subdevice #13
  Subdevice #14: subdevice #14
  Subdevice #15: subdevice #15
  Subdevice #16: subdevice #16
  Subdevice #17: subdevice #17
  Subdevice #18: subdevice #18
  Subdevice #19: subdevice #19
  Subdevice #20: subdevice #20
  Subdevice #21: subdevice #21
  Subdevice #22: subdevice #22
  Subdevice #23: subdevice #23
  Subdevice #24: subdevice #24
  Subdevice #25: subdevice #25
  Subdevice #26: subdevice #26
  Subdevice #27: subdevice #27
  Subdevice #28: subdevice #28
  Subdevice #29: subdevice #29
  Subdevice #30: subdevice #30
  Subdevice #31: subdevice #31
card 0: Audigy [Audigy 1 [SB0090]], device 2: emu10k1 efx [Multichannel Capture/PT Playback]
  Subdevices: 8/8
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
  Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
  Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
  Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
  Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
  Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
  Subdevice #7: subdevice #7
card 0: Audigy [Audigy 1 [SB0090]], device 3: emu10k1 [Multichannel Playback]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

MythTV Audio Configuration (one that produces static on DVB input):

Audio output device: ALSA:default
Passthrough output device: Default
Max Audio Channels: 5.1
Upmix: Passive
Enable AC3 to SPDIF passthrough: [checked]
Enable DTS to SPDIF passthrough: [unchecked]
Aggressive Sound card Buffering: [unchecked]
Use Internal Volume Controls: [checked]
Mixer Device: ALSA:default
Mixer Controls: Master
Master Mixer Volume: 100
PCM Mixer Volume: 70
Indpendent Muting of Left and Right Audio Channels: [unchecked]