[mythtv-users] PCI videocard GeForce 8200/8400 (gpu 98) for vdpau

Robert RobertCL at iname.com
Sun Feb 15 17:59:42 UTC 2009

Allen Edwards wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 7:30 AM, Robert Longbottom <RobertCL at iname.com
> <mailto:RobertCL at iname.com>> wrote:
>

>     John Drescher wrote:
>
>             jmd0 logs # grep "(G" /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>             (II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU GeForce 8400 GS (G98) at
>             PCI:1:0:0 (GPU-0)
>
>         BTW, I forgot to mention that my card is a PCIe 512MB ASUS version I
>         paid ~$39 at newegg for.
>

>     Ah, thats easy then :-)  My Sparkle PCI 8400 GS is also a G98 Core -
>     thats good to know:
>
>     (II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU GeForce 8400 GS (G98) at PCI:6:0:0 (GPU-0)
>
>     (--) NVIDIA(0): Memory: 524288 kBytes
>     (--) NVIDIA(0): VideoBIOS: 62.98.12.00.00

> Someone posted this on the PNY care, which is the one at Staples and Newegg
> http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n390/steve45377/1.gif
>
> It id's as a pice which agrees with the spec on the chip at Nvidia but
> the card is a PCI card.  I wonder about that. Is there a translator or
> is PCI just a subset of PCIe.
>
> Allen

My PCI card reports that it is PCI-E even though it is in a computer
that was build before PCI-E came along.  I assume there is some kind of
PCI -> PCI-E bridge on the card.

I actually had a load of grief making the thing work in my motherboard -
as a result I've got three graphics cards in the box!  Onboard intel
graphics, and old AGP NVIDIA quadro card and the new NVIDIA 8400GS PCI
card.

If I remove the AGP card, the motherboard refuses to boot at all.  So I
have to leave it in.  The bios screen and mythbuntu loading screens both
get output to the AGP card (which I don't have anything connected to so
I "boot blind"), but once X starts I've configured it to use the 8400 GS
PCI card and it seems to be happy enough.  All seems a bit odd, but I
guess it might be something to do with the BIOS not understanding the
PCI - PCI-X bridge that I appear to have.

Robert.