[mythtv-users] Stream over the internet

Jay Summet jay at summet.com
Sun Feb 15 15:36:01 UTC 2009

Andre Courchesne - Consultant wrote:
> Thanks Jay,

>   Would I be able to change the channels frmo the "FE" MythTV server?

A Myth front-end requests different channels from the backend when you
change the channel using the GUI, so yes, you can change channels from
the FE box.  (but I doubt you would be able to watch them, see below)

>   What is re required bandwidth for the streaming? y first test would
> surly be on wired lan network (100mbps). But would also like to try via
> broadband.

That depends upon the quality of the show you are recording. If you are
recording Standard Definition signals to MPEG2, you can probably stream
them over a 10baseT or wireless-G network. (but not any DSL line I've
heard of...although perhaps with fiber to the home you could get a large
enough upstream....)

HDTV 720p signals are typically 19.39Mbps, so I expect you'd need at
least a 25-30Mbps rated upstream to actually stream one HD channel.

It would be more workable for you to set up a remote front-end that
could play transcoded content (if you transcode the content to a very
low bitrate after it is recorded) but I doubt you would be able to watch
live tv. Your remote front-end could be used to schedule recordings from
the program guide over the Internet, and then after the backend recorded
the show (and transcoded the show to a much smaller size) you could
watch the shows by streaming them the Internet.

Even if you were unable to actually stream the recordings, you could use
a tool such as rsync to synchronize the filesystems of the BE and FE box
(in non-real-time) and then watch the shows at your remote front end by
telling it to pull the show from the filesystem instead of by streaming
it over the network.

Overall however, I suggest you buy a slingbox, as that device is
designed to do exactly what you are trying to shoehorn MythTv into.

Jay