[mythtv-users] Screen Blanking

Jason Sullivan jason0x21 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 14:19:47 UTC 2009

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 9:11 AM, Jason Gauthier <jgauthier at lastar.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
> My frontend only display keeps going off.  This isn't your normal
> screensaver or DPMS off.  This looks like a video sync problem or something.
>
> I'm using a Sony 32" LCD TV attached via VGA.
>
> I can watch TV or recordings for an hour, or two.. and it's fine.  Other
> times, I will watch for 5 minutes and it goes off.
>
> Once it's off, there is no coming back on.  I have to reboot.
>
> What information can I provide to help figure this out?   I'm running
> mythbuntu, completely patched up. My video card appears to be an Intel
> 82865G.

I just finished sorting out a similar problem.  Have you tried
switching to a text terminal an back?  How about turning the monitor
off and on?  Is there anything about screen blanking in the logfiles?

The first two would sometimes bring the screen back for me without a reboot.

The ultimate fix was to find an xorg.conf modeline specific to my
monitor (actually, a projector. Google helped here), but along the way
I found a few websites and programs that helped out.

The first message in the second thread details my results.  The first
thread was the problem itself.

Jason Sullivan
jason0x21 at gmail.com