[mythtv-users] Why cant we make a STB?

Udo van den Heuvel udovdh at xs4all.nl
Sun Feb 15 09:45:23 UTC 2009

Mitch Gore wrote:
> Why cant someone with the know how build some STB/Media Extended for
> MythTV?

First think about one basic software issue:
Memory leaks

I guess you missed my posts about these?
If you are going to produce STBs with MythTV hunderds, thousands, etc
people will be using this software. Not all of them will want to dig
into the stuff as we do. They expect stuff to work.
So recording a few channels off of one multiplex should just work, for
weeks, months on end.

And no, a nightly stop/start is not acceptable because their favorite
TV-show will be on at that time anyway.

Apart from these things:

Yes, depending on your choice of hardware, software, etc you could do
the STB thing.
But be very careful about support, bugfixes and new releases.

Kind regards,
Udo