[mythtv-users] Should I Upgrade Frontend from AMD 3200+ to AMD X2 3800+ (DualCore) ?

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Sun Feb 15 06:12:22 UTC 2009

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 12:32:11PM +1100, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Hi
>
> 2009/2/15 Krzysztof Adamski <k at adamski.org>:
> > So to put it in a simple terms :-)
> > If the max draw at the KAW shows is 220W and we us a 80+ PSU that has a
> > 99% power correcting, then (220W + 10% safety) for 242W at 80%
> > efficiency gives us a 290W, so a 300W 80+ PSU should be more then
> > enough, right?
>
> If you want to be safe, simply put a higher rated PSU, a 550W PSU
> won't draw more power than a 350W one if that's all what the system
> need.

Not true.   Depends on the supply, but usually not for most vendors.

A typical box for mythtv does not draw much power.   A box with
efficient power supply, core 2 duo, 2g ram, single hard drive,
modest video card (7600gt or 8400gs) will draw about 65 to 70
watts at the wall (kill-a-watt) and go up to perhaps 100w if the
CPU gets going full bore.

You really don't need a big power supply unless you want to have
a fancy graphics card like an 8800 or 9800 and do heavy gaming on
it.  That will start using your power supply.  Even if you plan to do
a 3 disk raid you probably only add another 15 watts.

I will have to check into the AMDs that are reported to do less power
than the core 2 duos.   The benchmarks last year had the core 2 duos
way ahead.  Remember, your system will sit idle 90% of the time.