[mythtv-users] Lots of confusion as to which card(s) to buy for vdpau

Dan Christensen jdc at uwo.ca
Sat Feb 14 23:12:15 UTC 2009

Dan Christensen <jdc at uwo.ca> writes:

> I'm actually going to get the motherboard Jean-Yves has
>
>   Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H, 9400G IGP, 512MB at 1600Mhz.. 580MHz. Supports
>   H264, MPEG2 and VC-1
>
> Jean-Yves (or anyone else):  have you had any problems with linux
> support of this board?

I've got this board now, but can't get X to run.  I'm using an old
Debian etch installation, but I have upgraded X and the kernel to lenny,
which is supposed to be released today.  I used the nvidia installer to
install 180.29, and have confirmed that the kernel module of that
version number is loading.  The error I get in Xorg.log is

(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device PCI:2:0:0.
(EE) NVIDIA(0):     Please see the COMMON PROBLEMS section in the README for
(EE) NVIDIA(0):     additional information.
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device!

In dmesg, I get:

[ 2765.100578] NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86 Kernel Module  180.29  Wed Feb  4 23:44:25 PST 2009
[ 2774.450899] NVRM: RmInitAdapter failed! (0x31:0xffffffff:1018)
[ 2774.450906] NVRM: rm_init_adapter(0) failed

I'm using an xorg.conf file generated by nvidia-xconfig.  I've put my
xorg.conf and the full Xorg.log at

  http://jdc.math.uwo.ca/tmp/nvidia/

The X version is "X.Org X Server 1.4.2" and the kernel is
linux-image-2.6.26-1-686 2.6.26-13.

I've also tried compiling the Debian nvidia-kernel-source package,
version 180.22, from experimental, with the same results.

As an experiment, I tried the Debian nv driver, but it is too old to
support this card, and I tried the vesa driver and got mtrr errors.
A rescue CD I tried was able to bring up a basic X session, and I
haven't yet done so again to see what config it used.

Any thoughts?  Should I try asking in the nvidia forum?

Dan