[mythtv-users] People Search inflexibility

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Sat Feb 14 17:40:54 UTC 2009

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 10:36:07AM -0000, Mike Holden wrote:
> Using the People Search is a quick and easy method of constructing a
> simple search for your favourite actors, directors etc. Unfortunately,
> because of its simplicity, you can't gain the flexibility of a Custom
> Search. A couple of examples to illustrate this - you want to record
> anything with Patrick Stewart in it but you already have the DVDs of Star
> Trek: The Next Generation and don't want to record them, or you like a

     There are a few niggling things in MythTV that this touches on.

     Exclude rules would be handy. It would be nice to mark certain
shows as "NEVER RECORD" so that you can make simple search rules for
other things and not need to account for your exceptions in every
single rule you create. Another thing is having "season" awareness
in the rules and program guide data. It would be really handy to
restrict rules by "season" rather than "year". Then there is the
issue of MythTV not being aware of what you already have in mythvideo.
Nevermind what you might have in your DVD collection. You can have
something in your virtual jukebox and Myth won't know not to record it.