[mythtv-users] Favour required: imon infra red and lirc

Phil Wild philwild at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 02:32:28 UTC 2009

>> I have downloaded your configuration and put it in place but it does
>> not appear to work...
>
> My configuration is for the 0038 USB version of the LCD ...
> it uses two different lirc source and you also need to use my lirc
> startup script that starts the two lirc daemon
>
> you may not have that version of the LCD driver

I have the same version as you and followed a lot of your instructions
to get it going. I am not sure if I patched for the joystick though -
can not remember now.... I did not use the same source as you though
from memory, I performed a:

apt-get install lirc-modules-source and then applied the patches
followed by dpkg-reconfigure.

The patches applied cleanly. I also did not remove the original lirc
binaries due to it being a dependency of mythbuntu, mythtv etc....

>> root at juliette:/# irw
>> 0000000028a395b7 00 Vol+ mx200
>> 0000000028a595b7 00 Vol- mx200
>> 0000000028a395b7 00 Vol+ mx200
>> 0000000028a595b7 00 Vol- mx200
>> 0000000028a595b7 00 Vol- mx200
>> ^C
>
> probably don't have the same remote ...

These codes are from the horrible little credit card remote that came
with the case. irw only detects some of the buttons with your config
in place and the directional keys def  are not detected. I believe
they work like the joystick.

>> I have tried shutting down lirc and firing up irrecord -d /dev/lirc0
>> /tmp/file but it also does not seem to detect the remote. Any
>> suggestions on how to debug this further?
>>

> getting irrecord to work reliably for my remote was difficult as there
> is two lirc device required for my LCD IR sensor and remote.
> if you start irrecord on one lirc device and you send a signal for the
> other lirc device, then the first lirc device stop working (it won't
> work until you flush the buffer of both lirc device)
> the only way I know on how to flush the buffer is doing rmmod on lirc
> and then add the module again.
>
> so pretty much what i was doing was start irrecord. as soon as it
> stopped working, i killed irrecord, unload/reload the lirc module and
> restart
> took me a while, but I got there

Sigh..... This is all sounding rather hard and time consuming. I was
hoping it would be much easier than this.... I'll keep trying tonight
after I regain ownership of the TV.

Thanks for your help!

Phil