[mythtv-users] CBS HD content suddenly doesn't play

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Feb 13 21:57:04 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 11:15:35AM -0800, Brad Fuller wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 10:58 AM, H Z <hansz_2000 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > My fix has been to use Xine to watch the shows on CBS on my appletv
> > mythfrontend. Xine will play back the full HD recording on the ATV and it
> > plays fine, although there are errors of dropped frames in the logs.
> >
> >  So the ATV can potentially playback the content from CBS - it has the
> > horsepower (with some framedrops but they're not noticeable) they just can't
> > be played by the internal player on the ATV. These same recordings work fine
> > from my mac-mini mythfrontend in the living room. I'm toying with the
> > thought of transcoding down the CBS recordings to 720p but I really want a
> > solution where I can easily choose the recording from my regular menu and
> > delete it when done. I have to say I think in my situation it's a case of
> > the ATV just doesn't have the horsepower to do everything I want from within
> > Mythfrontend natively in full HD, it's just slightly underpowered for the
> > task.
>
> Hmmm... I thought the problem was too high bitrate, not 720p. Isn't
> CBS broadcasting in 720p?

    I've been able to play CBS stuff with the internal player on the ATV.
I recently watched some HD episodes of The Unit recorded off the air with
my HDHR on the ATV with no problem.

    The ATV has serious network issues if it isn't setup right. HD material
can easily choke on this before the box has a CPU issue.